On October 15, 2018 OEMS will eliminate the seated spinal immobilization (KED) station. Only five (5) stations will be tested for exams after this date. The Bleeding Control / Shock station has been added as a potential assignment in the random skill station. Repeat testing (retests) is available for candidates that have failed two (2) stations after October 15 or failed two (2) or three (3) stations prior to October 15. Candidates needing a three station repeat exam will need to register by phone at 860.786.1789 ext 110.
Candidates are tested at each examination on five required skills – medical assessment, trauma assessment, random (joint immobilization, long bone immobilization, or bleeding control / shock), CPR/AED, and airway management. All examiners undergo training through the Connecticut Office of Emergency Medical Services and each exam is supervised by an OEMS Chief Examiner.
Candidates testing in a practical examination must have completed a Connecticut OEMS approved Emergency Medical Technician course within 2 years of their exam date, are having an expired Connecticut or NREMT certification reinstated, or are completing the examination for endorsement as an EMT.
Rules and Requirements
- Candidates must have completed their initial EMT program within two years of the examination date.
- Candidates must arrive by 6:00 PM. Candidates arriving after 6:00 PM will NOT be admitted into the examination and will forfeit their examination fee!
- Talking, outside papers such as NREMT skill sheets and notes, electronic devices, weapons, and books are not permitted in the testing or staging areas. Please leave these items in your vehicle or at the front desk. Code One is not responsible for items left at the examination.
- What to Wear to Your Examination: Candidates must not wear any clothing that identifies them to an organization, agency, or department (i.e. Fire Department shirts). No hats will be permitted in the examination. Clothing should also be appropriate for the movements and activities being performed (skirts and low cut shirts will not be permitted). Those dressed inappropriately will be required to change attire prior to the start time of the test.
- What to Bring to Your Examination: Test candidates MUST bring one form of identification to the examination that must be current and valid, contain a photo and a signature, and be a U.S. or State official ID such as a Passport, Military ID, Driver’s License, or Official Student ID.
- Any candidate that does not comply with the above rules will be dismissed from the examination and will forfeit their examination fee and test results.
- Requesting Special Accommodations: Testing Accommodations may only be provided with authorization from OEMS in advance of the examination. Documentation supporting the need for accommodation must be supplied with the requests. All requests for special accommodation must be made no less than ten (10) business days prior to the examination.
Candidates will be evaluated against the official CT OEMS skill sheets.
The stations tested are:
- BVM Ventilation
- Cardiac Arrest AED
- Random Skill (Joint Immobilization, Long Bone Immobilization, or Bleeding Control / Shock)
- Medical Assessment
- Trauma Assessment
Practical Exam Schedule
No schedule being displayed above? This section uses iFrame and Java functionality which your browser may not support. Click here for our legacy schedule viewer.