Welcome to Code One!
See Our Process at Work
Code One utilizes American Heart Association hybrid courses combined with skills instruction on the Resuscitation Quality Improvement (RQI) platform. This process provides a flexible, convenient, and tailored training experience that results in the two-year American Heart Association certificate you need.
We have three steps:
1. Register for your course: Using the course specific link below, register for the BEACON Complete package – this will include the required Heartcode online course. If you already have completed the Heartcode course and have your certificate dated in the past one (1) year, you may register for the BEACON Skills Only. All learners must complete their Heartcode course prior to scheduling skills.
2. Complete Heartcode course or Upload Certificate: You’ll receive an email confirmation containing a link to our learning platform. Complete the online Heartcode course on the platform or upload your Heartcode certificate if you’re registered for Skills Only.
3. Schedule your skills appointment. We offer skills by individual appointment 12 hours a day, 6 days a week at over 50 locations in the eastern United States. You’ll receive a confirmation email once you have scheduled with important arrival instructions. Locations are not staffed. You’ll receive an access code for the training room door upon check-in. Your instructor will be connected via video conferencing – similar to a telemedicine appointment – and will coach you through each manikin skill. Our manikins provide feedback and allow multiple attempts at each skill so you can achieve mastery in resuscitation.
Upon successful completion of your skills appointment, your instructor will issue your two year American Heart Association certificate which will arrive to you via email.
✅ Heartcode Online Course Access
✅ Individual Skills Appointment
✅ Two Year AHA Certificate (with successful completion)
BEACON SKILLS ONLY
✅ Individual Skills Appointment
✅ Two Year AHA Certificate (with successful completion)
⚠️ Even if renewing, ALL learners must upload a AHA Heartcode or Online Heartsaver certificate completed in the past year to attend a skills only appointment. ⚠️
Frequently Asked Questions
BEACON is American Heart Association hybrid training designed for healthcare professionals who desire to learn or refresh their resuscitation skills. Learners complete a portion of the course – Heartsaver, Heartcode BLS, Heartcode ACLS, or Heartcode PALS – online and then come to our center for an individual skills appointment. Appointments are offered Monday through Saturday between 8am and 8pm so it’s easy to find a convenient time to come in.
Yes. The American Heart Association (AHA) Find a Course tool unfortunately is not able to track our ever-changing daily schedule of individual skills appointments. We list courses on the AHA website but require our learners to register and schedule their session here.
If you selected a date on AHA that does not show up as available through our scheduler, we may already be fully booked. Please choose another date and time that works for you.
You may additionally request to be placed on standby for any cancelations. For standby requests, you must be registered and have completed the Heartcode course already. Please include your name, the email address you used to register, phone number, the dates and times you’re available for sessions, and Code One location(s) you are able to come to. Our team will contact you if a matching appointment becomes available. You may contact us using this link.
Yes. The BEACON programs utilize an approved American Heart Association hybrid course process that results in a two year AHA certificate upon successful completion of both the online theory and skills validation.
Code One has over 50 locations which offer Individual Skills Sessions by appointment. While the exact hours of operation vary by location, most Code One Training Centers accept appointments Monday through Saturday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. See our list of locations here.
Yes. We require that the Heartcode course be completed before you schedule the Individual Skills Session to ensure that you have the coursework done and are ready for your session.
BEACON is the American Heart Association program with some enhancements. Learners use instrumented manikins from RQI Partners which provide immediate audio and visual feedback on each skill to allow rescuers to achieve mastery and allowing you to BE A CONfident rescuer.
The BEACON Complete Package includes the required Heartcode or Heartsaver Online course plus an Individual Skills Appointment at a Code One Training Center location. This is the course that most learners require.
BEACON Skills Only is ONLY for learners who have already completed the American Heart Association Heartcode or Heartsaver course and have a certificate dated in the past year.
BOTH the Heartcode and the skills session are needed to satisfy certification even if you are renewing your certificate.
The BEACON Complete program includes theory (Heartcode) and skills verification.
Here’s the approximate time it takes to complete each one:
- The online portion of HeartCode is an adaptive learning platform which will adapt (as the name suggests) to your learning needs. If you find yourself benefiting from a more robust learning process the platform will shift to incorporate more videos, examples and practice opportunities to amplify your competency. On the other hand if you are an experienced healthcare provider, the platform will adjust to focus on knowledge verification. Depending on where you are on the spectrum of competency and confidence.
- Heartsaver Online courses can be completed in 1-3 hours.
- Heartcode BLS can be completed in approximately 1-4 hours.
- Heartcode ACLS & PALS courses can be completed in 2-6 hours.
- On average, the time to complete the hands-on skills session is about 45 minutes. Experienced rescuers may complete the skills in less time. We schedule skills appointments for one hour to ensure learners have adequate time to complete all skills.
HeartCode is the American Heart Association’s blended learning option for BLS (CPR and AED for healthcare providers), ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support), and PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support). The Heartcode course is adaptive and will adjust content based on the prior knowledge of the learner.
Blended learning is a combination of eLearning, in which a learner completes part of the course in a self-directed manner, and a hands-on skills session. In order to meet course certificate requirements, learners are required to complete both the Heartcode course online and the hands-on skills session.
The BEACON Complete Package includes the Heartcode course and an individual skills appointment at a Code One Training Center location.
Learners arrive for their scheduled appointment to a Code One Training Center location and check-in using the instructions in their confirmation email. Our system will confirm your appointment and call you with a door code so you may enter the skills training room. Your instructor will be connected via video conferencing (similar to a telemedicine appointment) to coach you through skills.
Your Skills Session includes 6 skills:
- Adult compressions
- Adult ventilations
- Two-rescuer adult CPR
- Infant compressions
- Infant ventilations
- Two-rescuer infant CPR
ACLS Skills Sessions only perform the three adult skills. For ACLS and PALS sessions, your instructor will review the course content, answer questions, and practice megacode scenarios during the session.
Watch a video of Youtuber Nurse Katherine going through her BEACON BLS Skills Session.
The BEACON BLS Self-Guided Skills option is available to users who are familiar with the RQI equipment and are comfortable with technology. While our team will be available to assist you if needed, during your session you will have the opportunity to independently move through your skills validation session, and work on BLS skills without an ongoing assistance from an instructor.
If you have never used the RQI platform before, we recommend that you schedule the Virtual Instructor Guided skills session.
Both formats will be available in your scheduling module on your Moodle account after you have registered and completed the Heartcode BLS course (or uploaded your certificate if doing BLS Skills Only).
Yes. Code One’s BEACON Bundle Package allows you to complete the online portion of the Heartcode BLS, ACLS, and PALS programs and then come in for a single skills appointment to cover skills for all three courses. The skills appointment takes about two hours.